Whistler Public Library and Armchair Books have joined forces to start a Community Book Club! Free and open to all, the club meets on the last Wednesday of each month.
- When: Wednesday, February 28, 7 p.m.
- Where: Fireplace Lounge, Whistler Public Library
- Who: Everyone welcome, no registration required
- How much: Free
- Which book: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- Where to get a copy: Borrow at WPL or buy at Armchair Books (mention the book club and receive 15% off)
Synopsis: Cora is a slave on a cotton plantation in Georgia. Life is hellish for all the slaves but especially bad for Cora; an outcast even among her fellow Africans, she is coming into womanhood, where even greater pain awaits. When Caesar, a recent arrival from Virginia, tells her about the Underground Railroad, they decide to take a terrifying risk and escape. Matters do not go as planned and, though they manage to find a station and head north, they are being hunted.